Monday, November 14, 2011

Adventures in Teaching

I had absolutely no idea what to expect from my lesson on Tuesday (aside from the certainty that something would go absolutely wrong).

The look on classmate's faces when I pulled out Jack Attack varied from excited to nervous to just plain indifferent. Strangely, the nervous faces increased when I told them all to close their eyes. Something about making yourself just a little bit more vulnerable to others frightens people. Add the fact that I'm asking them to write about feelings and all that other emotional crap, it's no wonder some people were nervous. Imagine being the one having to sing for everyone! But, that is another post entirely...

The reactions to the task I provided was rather diverse as well. Some looked excited to revisit their memories, while some people looked close to tears, damn near terrified. Truth be told, I still get close to tears sometimes when I lose myself in my "Sunshine" memory. I don't blame anyone who allowed themselves to feel to the point of overwhelmed.

My classmates looked much more relieved when I asked them to write about their songs. More specifically, I asked them to write about their memories, because they were what was truly important about this experience. No memory was too heavy or too insignificant; the fact that they exist make them meaningful.

Overall, I would say it was a rather enjoyable experience. The responses were mostly positive, making me feel as if I had made the right decision towards my lesson.

4 comments:

  1. I'm very sorry I missed your lesson. It seems as though it was very touching and personal. I will have to ask you more about this come the beginning of class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, you have an amazing voice and are a great guitar player. Such soul. And I totally know what you mean about students being very nervous to close their eyes. Is it that they can't relax? Might miss something? Or are afraid? I thought it went well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's one of my greatest dreams to be able to sing like a girl. Once I can sing like a man, I'll take lessons from you. Having a heartful voice like yours so close made my heart vibrate a little. Next time you do an open-mic night or something you should let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hearing you sing "You Are My Sunshine" almost brought me to tears as it brought back a memory I had forgotten about. It was a happy memory, but the strength of emotion that it evoked in me was shocking, and I'm glad you gave me the opportunity to bask in that memory.

    ReplyDelete