Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Second Hand Clothes, First Hand Life

I'm no stranger to the outdated aisles of the Goodwill (the G Dubs) or the Salvation Army (SA Boutique, Sally's, Salvo...), to blue-ticket sales and buy one-get one deals. Every government-funded welfare child is familiar with the scent of mothballs, like stale sweat in an aged room. The trepidation when you pull into the parking lot, the quick glances from left to right, making sure no one you know sees you go in. That frantic search for American Eagle and Gap needles in the JNCO and Bugle Boy haystack.

Back then, I wore those clothes with shame and resentment. My friends had the entire mall to find their personal style in. Jessica was a Tommy Girl, prim and preppy, while Anna was the sporty Aeropostale girl-next-door. Even Roxie, as ill-allotted as her family's money was, was able to come out of the Arnot as a Hot Topic mall goth. But who was I? The combined effort of people I'd never met. People who pitied little charity cases like me.

Today, I walked to class in a pale blue Victoria's Secret hoodie I purchased for $5 at Goodwill. The cuffs are stained from numerous washings and the screen-printed lettering along the front is beginning to peel. It's a few seasons old and while I could easily afford a new one, I'm content with this one. I learned long ago that I am not my clothing, but my clothing becomes me. Frankly, the idea that my clothing was worn by someone else doesn't frighten me like it used to. This sweatshirt is not perfect, but it's only because it was loved. The previous owner could have just tossed it out, but they chose to share the love instead.

My clothing becomes me and we both get a fresh start.

3 comments:

  1. Kadi is in love with Goodwill. I feel like that store is crack for 20-30 yr old (and maybe even older) women. What is it about the thrift people like so much? I don't see it at all. The thought of wearing clothes someone else wore (even though yes they are washed, etc) creeps me out. I guess I am weird like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love thrift store shopping trips. You can find some incredible deals. I found some black slacks that still have the tickets on them, never been worn. It's like panning for gold!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom always buys me ten or so clothes from the thrift store for Christmas every year. Though I probably only end up wearing half of them (she buys some pretty tacky clothes sometimes) I have to admit there are some pretty nice outfits she finds there. I used to feel embarrassed about it, but I quickly realized that no one has any idea whether clothes a bought brand new or from the thrift store, so there's nothing to feel self conscious about.

    ReplyDelete